Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi


From Goodreads : Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting as The Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.



My Rating : 5 of 5 stars


My Thoughts : "I've been locked up for 264 days. I have nothing but a small notebook and a broken pen and the numbers in my head to keep me company. 1 window. 4 walls. 144 square feet of space. 26 letters in an alphabet I haven’t spoken in 264 days of isolation. 6,336 hours since I’ve touched another human being."

The Rundown

The last time Juliette touched a little boy and he died. Her touch is lethal, she has a deadly power and whenever she touched someone something bad happened .The Reestablishment locked her in isolation for accusation of murder. Her world of loneliness changed when she got her new cell mate Adam, her old crush from school.

She learned how The Reestablishment is destroying the world, all the books, every artifact, every remnant of human history, saying it’s the only way to fix things and the mistakes of previous generations. with false promise of reestablishing everything. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. There is whisper of war, people are joining the rebels.

She was adjusting her life in cell with Adam but suddenly betrayal slams on her face. Adam was revealed as a undercover agent of The Reestablishment and they wants her as their new weapon, to use her power to torture innocents. Her world falls apart when Warner the 19 yrs old power hungry son The Reestablishment leader wants her as his new queen. She knows if she doesn't agree, Adam will suffer, If she agrees her soul will be crushed beneath boots of inhumanity.

I really really like this book, the writing style , each line of this book has it's own meaning, and i'm completely impressed.

Sometime I find Juliette fragile, sometime tough, strong.I loved to see her changes with the progress of the story.

Three Burning Fireflies

“I always wonder about raindrops.

I wonder how they're always falling down, tripping over their feet, breaking their legs and forgetting their parachutes as they tumble out of the sky toward an uncertain end. It's like someone is emptying their pockets over the earth and doesn't seem to care where the contents fall, doesn't seem to care that the raindrops burst when they hit the ground, that they shatter when they fall to the floor, that people curse the days the drops dare to tap on their doors.

I am a raindrop.”


Time by time she showed her bravery, i like her moves when she fought with Warner and saved Adam, i like her word which she splits on Warner's face, under such pressure. She may released from asylum, but again locked in Warner's eyes, 24 hrs under camera, she was forced to hide her feeling for Adam. I personally can feel her in this situation when your love is so near but you can't touch him, can't talked to him, can't even look at him.

"I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe.”

Adam didn't exactly catch my eyes, though his appearance was heroic. He's protective, romantic, charming, willing to risk his life for Juliette, like every heroes do for their girls. Initially i thought he's just a soldier of Reestablishment, i was relived when Adam revealed he's in love with Juliette from their school life, he joined Reestablishment to find her. He did all this thing to get near her, to save her from every harm. He has always been in love with her, no matter what she is.

"Adam stares at me so long I begin to blush. He tips my chin up so I meet his eyes. Blue blue blue boring into me. His voice is deep, steady. "I don't think I've ever heard you laugh."

He's so excruciatingly correct I don't know how to respond except with the truth. My smile is tucked into a straight line. "Laughter comes from living." I shrug, try to sound indifferent. "I've never really been alive before.”


It was actaully Warner who caught my eyes,not Adam. OMG, i have so much to write about him. He's too sexy in a devilish way. It's really hard to ignore his presence. I just couldn't hate him through out the book.

"His skin is flawless, unblemished, his jawline sharp and strong. His eyes are the palest shade of emerald I’ve ever seen. He’s beautiful.His crooked smile is calculated evil."

Warner was obsessed with Juliette, he researched everything about her from past 3 years. His love was hunger, possessive, like and growing fire, the more you run, the more it will try to trap you in it's flames. I believe Warner is just a guy haunted by loneliness, tormented by his past, always craved for love.

"You’ve suppressed all your rage and resentment because you wanted to be loved,” he says, no longer smiling. “Maybe I understand you, Juliette. Maybe you should trust me. Maybe you should accept the fact that you’ve tried to be someone you’re not for so long and that no matter what you did, those bastards were never happy. They were never satisfied. They never gave a damn, did they?” He looks at me and for a moment he seems almost human. For a moment I want to believe him. For a moment I want to sit on the floor and cry out the ocean lodged in my

throat.

“It’s time you stopped pretending,” he says, so softly.

“Juliette—” He takes my face in his gloved hands, so unexpectedly gentle.


Warner has some powers too. People are intimidated by him, so they listen when he speaks,and when he finds out about Juliette he thought she's like him, hated by the world, a loner girl longing for love, hungry for power just like him. I must say he always tried to love her, showed her affection. He thought he understand her, protecting her, he could win her, but sadly his thought was wrong,his way of approaching was wicked, instead it kept hurting her more and more.

"You think that because I am unwanted, because I am neglected and—and discarded—” My voice inches higher with every word, the unrestrained emotions suddenly screaming through my lungs. “You think I don’t have a heart? You think I don’t feel? You think that because I can inflict pain, that I should? You’re just like everyone else. You think I’m a monster just like every one else. You don’t understand me at all—”

I loved the writing style which is different for conventional writing , the lines which are truly amazing, I loved how the author had portrait all the characters beautifully. Being a new author she did incredible job.

This book original but has pretty much similar with Mockingjay , the same power Vs rebels, same underground base giving shelter to the homeless, same rage among people against rules and rulers. Same biasing between commoners and authorities. Well, if you have ever seen X men you will find out some similarities of power between the characters. Still i love this book and couldn't put this down in excitement. It's truly a interesting, a must read book for all dystopia fans and now i'm eagerly waiting for the next one in this series.

Hey Warner, hope to see you soon in next book.



View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Nice review! I loved the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me tooo, i like how the author pictured Warner, sexy in a creepy way

      Delete
  2. Happy that you enjoy it! I haven't read the series yet! I can't believe I haven't! Everyone says how amazing it is, I feel like I'm missing out:/ Definitely have to read it soon! Love your review! Makes me want to read it right now! Haha(:

    P.S: Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. currently reading it....
    poor juliet...
    i hope she choose afam...warner is mean...i hate him :(

    ReplyDelete