Thursday, 1 December 2011

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake



From Goodreads : Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story. . .

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.


My rating : 5 of 5 stars


My thoughts : My gut told me that she wasn’t just a story. And besides, I wanted to see her, dressed in blood. I was too busy thinking about the dead, and about one dead girl in particular, wearing a beautiful dress, stained red with her own blood.

Theseus Cassio Lowood or Cas isn’t a not a ordinary teen from a conventional family. His mother is a wiccan white witch and his father was in a business of killing ghosts before was ate by a deadly one he went to kill. Cas has inherited his father’s courage and Athame, a powerful knife of killing ghost and took up the killing business only at age of 14. Now after killing 23 rd ghosts, he got a letter from a small town called Thunder Bay. The letter was about a ghost Anna.

Anna Korlov was murdered in 1958 at sixteen, when she was on her way to school dance. Her throat was slit open, her body was found the next day, covered with flies, and her white dress stained with blood. That’s why they called her “Anna dressed in blood”. Now her ghost is stuck in her house and she’s killing everyone who tried to enter there.

The story binding is very nice and intriguing. It kept me sit tight on my ass and read it. Full of suspense and action with romantic hint. After a long time I have read a book which made me think “oh dear, what’s gonna happen next?”. This book has double climax. The first one will make you think that’s it, and after the first climax things will take new turn full of events that makes your blood running fast in excitement.

In second climax Cas came face to face with his real adversary, things went wrong and ended up in a terrifying way, made my mouth open. At the end I never felt I just finished the book, cause I wanted to read more, so I left unsatisfied and waiting for
Girl of Nightmares

Cas is worthy of a protagonist, he doesn’t have any superpower yet he’s a superhero in my eyes. He’s intelligent, smart, courageous, full with common senses and impressing fighting skills. He’s so mature like a man only at age of 17, capable of taking decisions on his own, never being confused before he met Anna. I can’t deny that I completely like him.

Anna, oh Anna you seriously kicked some ass girl. Anna is very unpredictable like her appearance. Cas never faced a ghost like her. They say every coin has two sides, so does Anna. She is victim of a brutal crime and murderer of innocents. Anna doesn’t want to kill but she kills against her will. She has strong guilty concerns for what she did so far. You will never hate her, you will feel sympathized with her just like Cas did. She’s a combination of bright and black, good and bad but she’s definitely not a evil.

She’s with me. She’s my purpose and we’re going to save each other. We’re going to save everyone. And then I’m going to convince her that she’s supposed to stay here. With me.

When Cas met her everything changes, he started to doubt his own decision to hunt her. Attachment between Cas and Anna grows up slowly as the story progresses, ended up with deep feelings, an impossible love for each other. Well boy meets girl, they save each other, fight together hand in hand and Bang. Man! love just happens, who plans for it.

And how can I forget Carmel and Thomas, without them the team is incomplete. I liked Carmel, she’s the prom queen but not a bimbo like other queen bees we see in movies. She’s actually smart. Thomas is the physic best friend of Cas, without his help Cas couldn’t have survived that long. Well his kinda cute.

So for me this book is a 4.5, recommended for lovers of paranormal romance and suspense.

WARNING: Don’t read this book at night, it may scare the hell out of you and sometimes make you heart jump to your throat, so hold you heart while reading.





View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I'm glad you enjoyed this book! I absolutely loved it! Normally I'm not a fan of reading from a boy's POV but this book was FANTASTIC!

    Karen @ I Read To Escape

    ReplyDelete