Saturday, 7 January 2012

Everneath by Brodi Ashton


From Goodreads : Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...


My Rating : 5 of 5 stars

My Thoughts : Then: Once there was a Girl named Persephone who was abducted by Lord of underworld Hades

Now: There is a girl named Nikki, abducted by Cole to Everneath, sounds same???? Ohh wait there is twist of third guy. I love twists a lot.

Then: Once there was a pair of lovers, Orpheus and Eurydice. When Eurydice was poisoned and died, Orpheus didn’t give up hope, he made an impossible journey to underworld to bring Eurydice back. He was almost succeeded but one small mistake of looking back took Eurydice back to underworld, this time forever.

Now: Jack and Nikki were lost in love, impossible to separate until Cole took her to Everneath. Jack never gave up on her. His love and memory helped Nikki to survive the feed in Everneath. Now she’s back on surface but only for six months. The tunnels are coming for her soon and Cole will never leave her alone. Question is will Jack be her Orpheus and save her from dragging back to Everneath? Or Cole will succeed to make her his queen?

I’m a sucker of mythology and this book is a wonderful adaption of my favorite mythologies of Hades and Persephone and Orpheus and Eurydice. Everneath did what Abandon and The Goddess Test couldn’t.

Brilliantly written the book led us to journey of love, passion, sacrifice and bravery. We are given several flashbacks throughout the whole story. Organized beautifully, the series of pasts and presents made this book more interesting.

Ashton’s imagination of Everneath is fascinating and wonderful. Everneath is a limbo between life and death, residents of Everneath are called Everlivings, and they are some sort of supernatural who feeds on human emotion and energy.

Nikki, Jack and Cole

As for the characters, I would love to give Ashton credit for creating Jack, Cole and Nikki. Each of them has their own different approaches and characteristics.

Nikki has six months left to say goodbye to her family and to her love before sucking back into Everneath. Normally no human can survive the feed, Nikki was an exception and that made her unique.

Despite of some stupid decisions she made, Nikki is marked by firm determination. I felt emotionally attached to her and I liked her. Numb, broken and gaunt, when she came back from Everneath, instead of being anguished she put the pieces together, struggled with past experience, repaired the damage between her and Jack. Nikki is also compassionate in my opinion; she chose to be a forfeit in tunnels rather than feeding on innocents.

Jack is a sweet heart, a loving and caring guy. Broken, yet courageous, Jack is an ultimate love interest. It was very hard to endure the pain of losing Nikki, but he never lost hope.In one word Jack is a crush worthy male protagonist.

On the contrary Cole is like an eclipse with different shades of personality. He is dark, seductive and charming; he is an ultimate completion of bad ass supernatural. He may be morally reprehensible but it’s hard to consider him as evil, he’s not good either. On one hand Cole is detestable, wretched; on the other he’s sympathetic and caring, I just couldn’t hate him. Cole is a destructive whirlpool, if you jump in there is no way of coming back, it will swallow you instantly.

The Triangle

Nikki’s warm affection and devotion for Jack is praise worthy. She remained unbendable to Cole’s temptation to take her back and make her an Everliving. Cole took away her all memories of surface but her feelings of Jack was beyond his reach, and her love was invincible.

Same words are applicable for Jack. He fought till last moment to keep Nikki safe but with a terrible price to pay. The invisible thread between them always kept them together even when they were apart. They are so connected and meant to be with each other. Their love for each other was admirable.

If I compare Jack with Orpheus, Cole’s character is definitely inspired by Hades.

The relationship between Cole and Nikki was not love exactly; it was more a relation of decency from both sides. Cole can’t survive without Nikki and whether she admits it or not, Nikki was also emotionally dependent on Cole. Whenever she was in pain, Cole took it away. If Jack was her guide towards light Cole was Nikki’s shadow, following her around everywhere. It was not clear whether Cole was in love with her or not, but he feels something fierce and protective for her. His heart aced whenever he saw her with Jack.

Cover lust

The cover is amazing; the way Nikki in red dress walking down from the cyclone of tunnels is just what we need to attract the readers. I can kill someone to get the red dress and I’m two hundred percent serious.

Well, this book is a page turner, surprising and the end will take you to the height of excitement that you will feel itched to read the next installment. I really really liked this book.

View all my reviews

23 comments:

  1. I love your review of this book! I really enjoy the way you break it up into different topics, instead of mashing it all into one big review :)
    I also love this cover! It's so eye catching and beautiful. I want to read this book just by looking at the cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I wanted to read this book before, but now I'm more anxious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review. I'm going to have to check this book out. Sounds like a good book. And I love the Persephone myth also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great review!! Thanks so much for sharing!! :)

    michelle_4881@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for checking my review and posting such gr8 comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to let you know that I have awarded you with the LIEBSTER BLOG AWARD! Check my blog for details - http://www.roxykade.blogspot.com/2012/01/liebster-blog-award.html

    Hope you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard of this book before, but your description of it has definitely piqued my curiosity.

    HM Prévost
    Author (Desert Fire)
    www.hmprevost.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much, I hope you will like it once you read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome you are doing this, I read the review the other day and I added the book to my TBRN list:) sounds good and I really like the review as well!!;))

    Bella;)
    coasticolellas@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. your review really makes this book a MUST read for me. Thank you for sharing.
    Bianca
    salvationwriter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the review! I can't wait to read it! Would live to win the giveaway!
    Trombonechick04@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the cover as well. most ya books have a girl in a apretty dress on the front and so does this but this actually seems to have a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your review has my interest piqued when previously I wasn't terribly excited about the book. Thanks for doing this!

    analaskangirl at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must say the cover is indeed breath taking and whats more it does sound like the story of Orpheus and Eurydice! Great review! I for one am also a big fan of mythology related books!

    blanshire140@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the Orpheus and Eurydice myth! It's my favorite story in the Greek mythology, so this book sounds like a must read. Thanks for the giveaway!

    New follower!! :)

    klamber1 at unca dot edu

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the way you review books! I hope you don't mind that i use some of your techniques to help my reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. and I didn't mind. I'm Glad that my reviewing style inspires you :)

      Delete
  18. Thanks Guys, I bet you will love this book as much as i did :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hadn't heard f dis book before,...bt I lov d way u review books...n ur design skill s also vry gud....its gr8 review....AWESOMESAALA...:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. i loved this book
    rad review

    ReplyDelete