Tuesday, 27 December 2011

The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa


From Goodreads : Ash, former prince of the Winter Court, gave up everything. His title, his home, even his vow of loyalty. All for a girl… and all for nothing.

Unless he can earn a soul.

To cold, emotionless faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought.

Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl— smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive.

With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side.

To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale.

And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.


My rating : 5 of 5 stars


My Thoughts : From this day forth, I vow to protect Meghan Chase, daughter of the Summer King, with my sword, my honor and my life. Should even the world stand against her, my blade will be at her side. And should it fail to protect her, let my own life be forfeit.

I must say I have taken a brave attempt to write the review of The Iron Knight when I’m out of my words how to praise this book. How can I describe how much I loved this book when I’m still lost in thoughts and my hands are numb and shaking to write this review? The Iron Knight is an EPIC romance of this decade, I doubt I will ever be able to love any other book like I loved this one, its characters.

The last three book of this series was form point of view of Meghan Chase, this one is narrated by Ashallayn’darkmyr Tallyn, our very own Prince Ash, his quest to find a way to be mortal and be with his Iron Queen Meghan. In his journey he was accompanied by his old rival summer court prankster Robin “Puck” Goodfellow, Grimalkin the wise cat, the big bad Wolf, and his lost love Ariella who were assumed dead in previous books.

No book has ever made me cry like The Iron Knight. I cried when Ash attempted to end Puck life suppressed by ever burning rage of lost and pain, Puck stood still gazing directly into Ash with his bright green eyes confessing his love for Meghan, his pain, his loss, I cried when Ariella helped them in their quest sacrificing her love and life for Ash.

I felt empty when I finished this book, I felt something has gone from my life, something has ended.

Julie Kagawa did a fantastic job, what a captivating, mesmerizing writing. Julie Kagawa knows how to bring our imagination into pages, she took us into a memorable journey, showed us an unseen fey world. I felt myself as a part this team marching forward through the fairy territory to the end of the world in order fulfill the quest.

Knight In Shinning Armor

I have come from the End of the World.... From the River of Dreams, through the gauntlet and the Briar and the Deep Wyld, in order to stand before you today. I have but one request - to take my place at your side. To resume my duty as your knight, and to protect you and your kingdom for as long as I draw breath.

Ashallayn’darkmyr Tallyn you are the best male protagonist I have ever came through. He is the true knight, who doesn’t know how to step back from keeping his oath, made impossible into possible for his love. He is the dream guy of any girl. As we knew Ash has an icy cold barrier surrounding his heart which beats for Meghan, the only girl whose touch has melted the ice away. But in this book we also felt the warmth of his heart too, haunted by guilt, torn between past and present, we felt his nightmares, his pain, his love and fierce devotion for the one girl, we saw the true Ash who sometime can be vulnerable. He didn’t hesitate once to sacrifice everything he has. Ash and Meghan went through a lot to be with each other and they deserve a happy ending, I’m just glad that Ash finally found his way to his love.

The Summer Prankster

So I waited, and I did my job. For years, I protected her, biding my time, until the day she went into the Nevernever after her brother. And then you came along. And I saw how she looked at you. And for the first time, I wanted to kill you as much as you wanted to kill me.

Puck is as always dynamic, brought smile into my lips throughout the whole book. In spite of his all attempts to hide his emotional distress I felt his pain of losing the one and only girl he has ever loved to the person he shared a cold enmity for centuries. Puck taught me love doesn’t mean to be with the person, love means to make that person happy, even if it costs sacrificing your feelings. I may adore Ash but I’m a more Puck girl. I tried hard to refrain my tears each and every time I realized how much torture it is for Puck to wear a mask of fake smile while his is heart is burning in pain. He never showed how much he felt guilty for bearing the death of Ariella on his conscience, we realized his grief of losing Arilla and his pain of losing his best friend. He fought off every obstacle, every danger shoulder in shoulder with Ash, without Puck, the story is incomplete.

Turning Point

Bringing Ariella back was the most surprising element of the story, she just made a big place in my heart. I sucked my breath, tried hard to hold back my tears to watch her to sacrifice herself so that Ash can be with his love. She loved Ash soooo much, still she never let her love came into his way. That’s what I call true love.

How can I forget cute Grim, Awwwww, I love you. Without you Ash and Puck would be lost, You are the most wise, witty guide and loyal friend.

I truly doubt without Puck and Ariella, Grim and the Wolf, Ash would ever be able to find his way back to Meghan.

This book is a heart wrenching romantic fantasy novel, it took my breath away.

Thank you very much Julie Kagawa for such a wonderful gift. This whole series will remain forever in core of my heart.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. following ur blog
    now follow my blog
    http://glamorousgirlblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete