Thursday, 2 February 2012

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

From Goodreads : Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance.

Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in. It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.


My rating : 5 of 5 stars

My Thoughts : Scarlet is wrenching and moving story of love and friendship, bravery and loyalty, a retelling of the legend of Robin Hood, only the voice of narration was Scarlet. Yes Will Scarlet, the most skilled knife- handling young fellow of Robin, in the traditional tales, famous for his hot temper. But he’s not actually what we think he is. He’s no lad; he’s a lass; a girl hiding her true identity in men’s cloth.

Being a part of the merry men, Scarlet was always successful to hide the truth from rest of the Nottingham; of course her companions knew about her. Now the evil thief taker Sir Guy of Gisbourne is terrorizing the Village with violence and fury; determine to catch Robin. But Scarlet knew what he is actually after. It’s her and Guy will not stop until he possessed her and crushed her to the dust. Her secrets threatened to disentangle; painful memories of past are about to unravel that can change everything in present.

Scarlet Fever

Disguised as a boy, Scarlet is secretive, impulsive, strong and mysterious, no less in any quality than an actual lad. She’s one of the bravest and toughest female protagonists I have ever came across, no wonder why Robin called her a worrier woman. Scarlet was Invulnerable to fear or intimidation. She faced and withstands Gisbourne with courage. She helped the people of Nottingham the best she could, she fought for justice alongside Robin, John and Much. She may have a tough exterior, but her interior was made with delicate glass just like an eighteen years old girl, which shattered with each piercing word came from Robin and melted in warm embrace of the same person. As a reader, above all as a girl I was empathetic to her pain and adopted them as mine. Sometime it was really hard for me to hold back my tears. Her feeling and affection was strong for Rob, but the ultimate sacrifice she made to save the person she loved was praise worthy.

I know the readers have already begun to guess about Scar, but if you think I’m going tell you her true identity, sorry to say I will not spoil this enchanting historical story.

The Walking Ghost

“You changed everything. Everything. That day in the market in London, you don’t know what my life was like before that, when I came home and found everything just gone. I had nothing. I hadn’t a soul. And then you appeared with your magic eyes, and you just changed everything.”

Robin Hood, the legendary character, angel to poor, one of the most famous archers in history was just Rob for Scarlet, and I fall in love with him too. A retired heart from Cursed devoted his youth in novel cause to serve people, to save them from being tortured by sheriff, In the process accompanied by a girl with eyes color of moonstone, Rob found himself caring for that brave and rude girl.

Hurting Scar was the best way to punish himself, and of course Rob was not very proud of that. In spite of every effort he made to deny his own feelings for Scar, I could see the warm compassionate feelings in his stormy eyes. Out of all the things he had done, he loved her more, protected Scar with all his life and knocked down every danger intend to hurt her.

The Merry Men

Right hand of Robin and an excellent swordsman Little John had always been a charmer and he charmed me as well. I liked how the author painted his character with colors of fun and sincerity in equal measure. Scarlet is definitely not a love triangle but John’s growing fondness and likeness for her spiced up the story a little bit. He’s appearance throughout the whole story was remarkable. When it came to loyalty and devotion to Robin and his band, no one was fierce as him.
Much was always like a brother to Scarlet, the only person Scarlet was most comfortable with. Sometime I felt sympathy for him, but he proved he doesn’t need anyone’s sympathy. In spite of having one good arm, Much has a quality of spirit and will power that enabled him to fight.

As a debut author A.C. Gaughen brought us that secrets and hidden fact behind one of the most famous legend of history. Sometime untold truth buried beneath the history, we just need to dig that deep. The writing was very touching and mesmerizing that I applaud her efforts. The ending was completely unexpected and my heart skipped a bit. Series of turns and twists, secrets and actions, Scarlet will leave you speechless. This book is Capable of arousing and holding the attention.

I have been searching around trying to figure out if this was a stand alone or a series? Scarlet left lots of question running in my mind. I am hoping that this will be a series because I would love to read more about the romance and where it turns from here. But right now I’m down with Scarlet fever. Are you?


View all my reviews

7 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic! I've seen a few mixed reviews for this book . . . but anything with Robin Hood I'm sooooo there. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much that you loved my review, I bet you'r gonna love this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic review!! Thanks for the recommendation. Your reviewing style is very unique! I thought I saw this on NetGalley...is that where you got it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comments,:) yes, i got this from netgalley, so much new books to reads and my list is increasing more and more.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for reviewing this book - I'd never heard of it before, and even though it is inspired by an existing tale, it sounds very original.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous cover! That would be enough for me to want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review/ post. Sounds like an interesting read :-)

    TT @ ttoria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete