Wednesday, 28 March 2012

Fair Coin by E.C. Myers

From Goodreads : Sixteen-year-old Ephraim Scott is horrified when he comes home from school and finds his mother unconscious at the kitchen table, clutching a bottle of pills. The reason for her suicide attempt is even more disturbing: she thought she’d identified Ephraim’s body at the hospital that day.
Among his dead double’s belongings, Ephraim finds a strange coin—a coin that grants wishes when he flips it. With a flick of his thumb, he can turn his alcoholic mother into a model parent and catch the eye of the girl he’s liked since second grade. But the coin doesn’t always change things for the better. And a bad flip can destroy other people’s lives as easily as it rebuilds his own.
The coin could give Ephraim everything he’s ever wanted—if he learns to control its power before his luck runs out.


My rating : 3 of 5 stars

My Review : Sixteen years old Ephraim was horrified when he found his mother tried to suicide. The reason behind her suicide attempt was she indentified Ephraim body on morgue that day, hit and run. With shock of this incident, Ephraim found a strange coin from belongings of his double; the coin was no ordinary one. Things Ephraim never imagined started to happen with one flip, Ephraim turned his alcoholic mother into a good parent and made the girl he liked from second grade fall for him. The coin could give Ephraim everything he wished for but one wrong flip can put his life at stake as well as endangering life of peoples he cares for.

The book is mixture of science fiction and magic tricks. The book pretty much reminded me of The Butterfly Effect, where Ashton Kutcher tried to change the past in order to make good present and each of his attempts lead to different outcomes.
Here the concept was kind of same, Ephraim used the coin in attempt to set things right for himself, his family and friends but there were unintended consequences for a wrong flip, and he found himself trapped more and more in lies and time loop and it become impossible for him to go back where he started. I liked the concept of other dimensions and parallel universe where we each can have one identical of us.

As for the characters I like them all, more or less. Ephraim was cute and shy geeky guy, but situation made him daring. His friendship with Nathan was adorable, I mean how many book we have seen actual friendship? Jena, was a combination of beauty and brain. She was actually smart and I instantly started to like her.

When I stared the book, I was really enjoying this one, but after constant occurring of same time jumping into different events made bored. I was lost and confused into time loops, I forgot how many time circle I have crossed since the beginning.

I’m a lover of Science Fiction though the book couldn’t satisfy me that much I have expected. I really do hope some readers may it enjoying




View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic review! I also find it confusing if there are too many time shifts in a book.

    ReplyDelete