Saturday, 10 March 2012

Katana By Cole Gibsen

From Goodreads : Rileigh Martin would love to believe that adrenaline had given her the uncanny courage and strength to fend off three muggers. But it doesn't explain her dreams of 15th-century Japan, the incredible fighting skills she suddenly possesses, or the strange voice giving her battle tips and danger warnings.

While worrying that she's going crazy (always a reputation ruiner), Rileigh gets a visit from Kim, a handsome martial arts instructor, who tells Rileigh she's harboring the spirit of a five-hundred-year-old samurai warrior.

Relentlessly attacked by ninjas, Rileigh has no choice but to master the katana--a deadly Japanese sword that's also the key to her past. As the spirit grows stronger and her feelings for Kim intensify, Rileigh is torn between continuing as the girl she's always been and embracing the warrior inside her.


My rating : 4 of 5 stars

My thoughts : When I first read the summery I knew I had to read the book and not I feel satisfied with my decision and I would say this book has really some action, a kick butt heroine and a plot that I can compare with Kill Bill.

description

Rileigh Martin lived a normal life until she fend off three mugger with courage and skills she never thought she had, also instructed by a strange voice in her mind. She wanted to believe hard that all her actions were caused by adrenaline. But Adrenaline was not the excuse of her martial art skills, Rileigh met Kim, a handsome martial arts instructor who explains she is reincarnation of a 500 years old samurai worrier Sensi. Kim guides Rileigh to master Katana, a ninja weapon that leads her to uncover the truths of her past life.
With an enemy awaken from her past who can destroy her present, Rileigh must choose her destiny.

Cole Gibsen is a talented author. I really appreciate how she chose the plot with some real idea of soul mate reincarnation, it is very clear that she did a lot of research on the topic. The author also elaborated the whole transcend process so you don’t have to look around for information.
Katana is complete book with everything you want from action to romance.

Rileigh

The book was told from POV of Rileigh, and the narration flowed well for me. She is smart, strong, fun and sarcastic. Throughout the book, Rileigh tried to adjust with the whole fact of her being an samurai worrier in her last life, and that seems believable. With the spirit of Sensi grows stronger inside her and her feelings for Kim, she felt torn between the girl she is now and the girl she was 500 years ago. Ri is exactly a kind of girl you met in day to day life and you feel familiar with, but with some extraordinary capability.

Kim

Kim is a truly swoon-worthy character, he was so brave, fearless and mature. Considering he was Yoshido, a samurai worrier and Sensi’s love interest, he remains same to Rileigh, his love and affection never changed to her. He gave her time to adjust and never force her to him love, which I liked about him more than anything.

Romance

I enjoyed Rileigh and Kim as much as I loved Sensi and Yoshido. Sensi and Yoshido were very passionately in love and gave life to save their love, which was truly very heart rendering. In present there was no immediate rush of soul mate attraction. The romance blossomed slowly giving time to Rileigh as well as the reader to realize her connection with Kim in both her past and present.

Friendship

While talking about the friendship first name came to my mind is Quentin, the cute, supportive and protective best friend of Raleigh .I loved how author portrayed his character to lighten the story.
Branden, Drew and Michelle, all three of them were part of the original samurai team and played their role very accurately in present. I liked how the characters interacted with each other, their friendship and bonding really pleased me.

Katana was a very delightful read for me, full of fun and adventure blended with samurai legend. Wonderful storyline full of actions, Katana would give you the feeling of watching live action movie.




View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I like my action movies and very few books manage to instill that sense of excitement one gets when witnessing an action scene. I have high hopes for this book. Thank you for your lovely review:) Your honest opinion is greatly appreciated!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow....sounds a great book...reminds me of movies KILL BILL..
    thx u for the review :)

    ReplyDelete