Sunday, 29 April 2012

Fated by Alyson Noel

From Goodreads : Strange things are happening to Daire Santos. Crows mock her, glowing people stalk her, time stops without warning, and a beautiful boy with unearthly blue eyes haunts all her dreams. Fearing for her daughter’s sanity, Daire’s mother sends her to live with the grandmother she’s never met. A woman who recognizes the visions for what they truly are—the call to her destiny as a Soul Seeker—one who can navigate the worlds between the living and dead.

There on the dusty plains of Enchantment, New Mexico, Daire sets out to harness her mystical powers. But it’s when she meets Dace, the boy from her dreams, that her whole world is shaken to its core. Now Daire is forced to discover if Dace is the one guy she's meant to be with...or if he’s allied with the enemy she's destined to destroy.

My Rating : 4 of 5 stars

My Thoughts : Fated was first in my reading list by Alyson Noel, and I have very high expectations from this book. Honestly the book didn’t exceed my anticipation but I can’t say that I’m not pleased. I loved some points where I was not completely satisfied by others.

Plot Overview

The story was based of self discovery and journey of 16 years old Daire. Her life was always moving around places to place, from one movie set to another, she never felt normal. Encountering series of horrible nightmarish visions of seeing dead peoples and crows, her mother started to believe she’s psycho and send Daire to live with her Grandmother in a remote village of New Mexico. She was not very adjusting in the beginning and tried to run off, later she understand her Grandmother is the only person who could understand her. Upon discovering she is a powerful soul seeker, descendent of very ancient family and her destiny is already set to destroy who means harm to mankind. Soon she crosses path with twins, Dace and Cade. Dace is the one she meant to be with, Cade on the other hand is her sworn enemy and it fated.

Finding The Facts

The plot and idea behind it was undoubtedly original and I was amazed by the whole concept of spiritual journey but the story losts its binding few times. Until the halfway I was waiting for something to happen that could possibly caught me off guard. Description of the blood curdling visions and strange dreams Daire had was vivid and hold my attention, I found myself eagerly waiting for the two boys from her dreams. But the whole process of “journey to the spirit road “thing seemed too long to continue for me. I was disappointed with lack of actions in this book although it contains some shocking moments of surprise and occurrence of few unexpected events that will keep you going through the pages. The book stared to get more interesting from the moment Daire survived her spirit quest and came face to face with both of her soul mate and sworn enemy at same time.

The Seeker, The Echo and The Coyote

As the protagonist Daire was a flawed character. Initially I found her selfish who only thinks about herself, also irritating and bad tempered one. And all her behaviors and anger was outcome of the horrible visions she experienced. Although she changes throughout rest of the book and became empathetic, more responsible and concerned of her duty and destiny as a soul seeker.

Like a coin Dace and Cade were two different people with same looks but opposite personality. Dace was soft and compassionate, representing light and good, Cade was more cunning and manipulative, messenger of dark and evil. Both of them were attracted to Daire but with different motives, where Dace’s feeling was genuine love, Cade wanted her in his dark side as an alley. Dace was such a sweet and adorable guy, but I was impressed by Cade too. He never tried to hide his bad ass attitude and I truly want to explore more about him in next two installments of The Soul Seeker series.

Other Characters

Unlike many other boos Fated has some great supportive characters that will make you feel connected.Daire's grandmother Paloma was kind of person you wanna respect, not only as a guide and mentor but also as a beloved granny she has always been great support to Daire. Another character I loved was Xotichl, Daire's only friend at school. Her power was unique, identifying anyone from a certain distance just by sensing them with auras.This blind girl won my heart.

The Romance

I appreciate that the author didn’t engaged Daire in a love triangle with the twins, but unfortunately Fated is one of those paranormal books involving instalove . As the title and theme suggests Daire and Dace are fated to be together and long before they meet Daire started to have dreams about him, so when finally they meet there was soulmate attraction.

Overall

Fated was a long but interesting read for me, and I enjoyed those moments. The author has a great sense of detail and imagery, which is what made me keep reading. In the flooding market of vampires, werewolves and angels, Fated is successful to keep its uniqueness. If you are looking for some paranormal romance with different theme than usual, I say go for Fated.

An ARC was provided to me by Pan Macmillan in exchange for a honest review

View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. Great review! Can't wait to read this! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you liked my review. This is absolutely good book for changing your mood from those conventional Vamp and shapeshifter books

      Delete
  2. Hey Soumi! thanks for the review!
    I still don't own this one, but I think Alyson always has something different to write about.I mean, this author write about true "magic" things. Whatever, I agree with your point of you.
    Thanks for sharing I'll be looking forward to this one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete