Friday, 18 May 2012

Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris

From Goodreads : 24 meets the X Files in the biggest teen blockbuster of the summer…

STOP THE COUNTDOWN. SAVE THE WORLD…

Leaving the beach, seventeen-year-old Janelle Tenner is hit head on by a pickup truck.

And killed.

Then Ben Michaels, resident stoner, is leaning over her. And even though it isn’t possible, she knows Ben somehow brought her back to life…

Meanwhile, Janelle’s father, a special agent for the FBI, starts working on a case that seems strangely connected to Ben. Digging in his files, Janelle finds a mysterious device – one that seems to be counting down to something that will happen in 23 days and 10 hours time.

That something? It might just be the end of the world. And if Janelle wants to stop it, she’s going to need to uncover Ben’s secrets – and keep from falling in love with him in the process…


My Rating : 5 of 5 stars

My Review : When seventeen years old Janelle Tenner was hit by a tuck and died, she felt she was dying. Soon she brought back to life completely unharmed and found Ben Michaels, a loner guy from her school she barely knows, leaning over her. She knows Ben had something to do with her revival but she doesn’t know how. Desperate to know truth behind her accident, Janelle sneaks in her FBI father’s study and discover investigation files on unidentified radiation victims, also a timer that is counting down towards zero. Somehow all the incidents are connected together, and Janelle has 24 hours to solve the mystery and save the world from destroying before the timer stops.

A Story of Both Science to Art

Unraveling was an immensely entertaining, and nerve-wrecking suspense flowed well with this action-packed si-fi thriller. As a follower of both science and literature, I was completely surprised to see how beautifully the author blended one into another. From concept of quantum mechanics and genetic engineering to wave function collapse theory and alternate universe. I was stunned by the amount of research author did to write this novel and how brilliantly she explained those scientific theories in terms literature.

Although the story is little influenced by both X-files and Veronica Mars, but it has originality that kept me constantly flipping through pages. The book contains mysteries at large quantity that unraveled one by one with proper and satisfying explanations. One thing I like about this book is whenever I was about to discover something, the whole thing turned out into something else, I wasn’t prepared for, all those turnarounds left me open mouthed.

Countdown to Characters and Romance

Elizabeth Norries delivers a gripping storyline using Janelle as the strong voice of narration, which made the whole plot believable and her art of describing incidents made the whole “end of world” process much more realistic. Janelle is an independent and realistic girl who knows her responsibility well. If I were in Jenelle’s place, I would have done same dare devil attempts to discover the truth and save the world as well as those person I care for. She is one of those very uncommon characters I could easily relate myself to.

Ben was absolutely amazing by both his down to earth appearance and sweet caring nature. The secret he kept hidden was absolute explosive that can either harm you or save you. I loved Ben, he seemed very believable and real to me, also different from other YA male protagonist. Ben is deadly combination of charm with brain and it is rare to find an intellectual YA hero, aren’t they??

The romance was slow burning and definitely not conventional, it was rather bold and modern. They don’t believe in romantic quote from Dickens, they prefer being honest with lines like “I fucking love you”. I was drawn into emotion by this gradually developed romance.

There is another person in this story who touched my heart, Alex, the best friend. Although there is no triangle and I really appreciate that the author didn’t include so called best friend-boy friend drama. Alex reminded me of my best friend; always supportive and caring, just like the guy next door.

That Timer

The story was broken into sections corresponding to timer countdown as chapter headers and it was a brilliant idea of making the readers feel the same fear as Janelle, at least my heart raced faster than usual as the story progressed and time was slipping from Janelle’s hand.

Twisty and gripping, Unraveling is kind of novel that has something for everyone. With flawless writing and brilliant story line, Unraveling will not disappoint you.

An ARC was provided by the publishers in exchange for a honest review



View all my reviews

5 comments:

  1. I borrowed this book from a friend - who hasn't even read it - and was suprised to find out how much i LOVED THIS BOOK. Definetly 5/5 for me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds awesome! *.* I will definitely be picking this up! :D Great Review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I love this cover so much. Whenever I get around to buying this book this is the cover I'm hunting down. Great Review btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww sweety , to buy this uk edition, you have to wait until 7th June. But I hope when you get Unraveling with this particular cover, you will definitely like it :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks you guys, I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I loved this uk cover sooo much and glad I got the ARC of uk edition

    ReplyDelete