Sunday, 10 June 2012

Saving June by Hannah Harrington


Goodreads Summery : ‘If she’d waited less than two weeks, she’d be June who died in June. But I guess my sister didn’t consider that.’

Harper Scott’s older sister has always been the perfect one so when June takes her own life a week before her high school graduation, sixteen-year-old Harper is devastated. Everyone’s sorry, but no one can explain why.

When her divorcing parents decide to split her sister’s ashes into his-and-her urns, Harper takes matters into her own hands. She’ll steal the ashes and drive cross-country with her best friend, Laney, to the one place June always dreamed of going, California.

Enter Jake Tolan. He’s a boy with a bad attitude, a classic-rock obsession and nothing in common with Harper’s sister. But Jake had a connection with June, and when he insists on joining them, Harper’s just desperate enough to let him. With his alternately charming and infuriating demeanour and his belief that music can see you through anything, he might be exactly what she needs.

Except June wasn’t the only one hiding something. Jake’s keeping a secret that has the power to turn Harper’s life upside down again.


My Rating : 5 of 5 stars

My Thoughts : “Sometimes people think they want to know things, but then they hear the answer and realize they'd prefer to be in the dark.”

A work of realistic fiction, Saving June is absolutely touching and I melted with emotions. When I was reading Saving June, I was speechless and I was in doubt that I will ever be able to write down my thoughts in blank pages.

Harper’s perfect older sister June committed suicide just two weeks before her graduation, and Haper was the one who found her body. Harper found heeself questioning June’s death because June did not even left behind a goodbye note. When Harper found out her divorcing parents are even dividing June’s urn, Harper took the urn left home with her best friend Laney and Jake, an arrogant guy who used be June’s friend to California where June wanted to go, and live her dream, now its Harper responsibly to fulfill her decreased sister’s last wish. A memorable road trip to accomplish June’s unfulfilled dream, Harper discovers truth about her sister, herself and life that can turn her life upside down.

I have read many books where some characters died, but a novel completely dealt with death, loss and grief, Saving June is first one in my book shelve. I have seen death in my life and I know how it is feels like losing a person you love, I found myself immediately attached with the characters, each and everyone.

“It's so stupid because all I wanted was space and now that I have it, there's this part of me that's achingly lonely I could die.”


June has always been the golden girl, Harper was opposite to her, still there was so much connections and love, and I’m mesmerized by their sisterly bond. Devastated and alone, we witnessed Harper developed and grown mentally through the pages, felt and acted like a mature one, wiser than her age. Harper is bold, smart mouthed and definitely not perfect. Author’s creation of such realistic and flawed character is praise worthy.

“He took his pain and turned it into something beautiful. Into something that people connect to. And that's what good music does. It speaks to you. It changes you.”

There is Jake, a guy with bad ass attitude but a soft and empathetic heart, deep and warm. His presence is comforting and heartwarming, like a music you listen to in joy and pain. He and Harper never got along, but still he always stand by her side and supported her, a shoulder to cry one, a hand to hold forever.
Another person I cann’t help but mentioning, Laney, Harper best friend in both her good and bad times. Living her own comfortable life, she set in a journey along with Harper and Jake. She also faces some devastating news in her way to California; still she never left Harper’s side, Laney reminded me of my best friend.

Taking trip with a guy Harper barely knows and slowing falling for him, the romance part was perfect and smooth, with flavor of first love. Harper not only struggles to cope with her loss and grief, she also struggles with herself and truths she discovers.

Saving June was engaging read for, an emotional journey that I will never forget. I never thought of having an adventurous road trip or taking any kind of risk like that, but sometimes you only listen to your heart and acts on your emotion, that’s life is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment