Thursday, 13 September 2012

Incarnation by Emma Cornwall

Goodreads Summary : In the steampunk world of Victorian London, a beautiful vampire seeks out the author of Dracula–to set the record straight . . . If one is to believe Bram Stoker’s legendary vampire tale, Lucy Weston is Dracula’s most wanton creation, a sexual creature of the night who preys on innocent boys. But the real-life Lucy is nothing like her fictional counterpart—and she demands to know why the Victorian author deliberately lied. With Stoker’s reluctant help, she’s determined to track down the very fiend who transformed her—from the sensual underworld where humans vie to become vampires, to a hidden cell beneath a temple to madness, and finally into the glittering Crystal Palace where death reigns supreme.

Haunted by fragmentary memories of her lost life and love, Lucy must battle her thirst for blood as she struggles to stop a catastrophic war that will doom vampires and humans alike. Ultimately, she must make a choice that illuminates for her—and for us—what it means to be human.


My Rating : 4 of 5 stars

My Thoughts : Lucy Weston was most sensual huntress of night who preys on innocent boys. But Lucy has no similarity as Stoker has described her. But truth is she is a vampire and she is looking for the man who has condemned her. With Stoker’s help, Lucy ventured out for the person who transferred her into the creature of night.

The story begins at an opera house where a seductive singer at stage seemed to call Lucy, and she was so compelled by him that she could only focuses on him and only him. Next thing she knew she was on dirt, buried under mud and struggling to crawl her way out. Haunted by fragments for her memories, the life she left behind and struggling with her thirst for blood, she stepped between a war that could destroy both vampires and humans.

Dracula is one legendary creation of Bram Stoker, and reimagining the story and recreating the legend was a very difficult job, and I applaud her courage for taking the risk and she simply nailed it.
Stories set in Victorian periods is something that has always interests me, and Bram Stoker was another reason I chose this books as one of my most anticipated of the year. I have read Dracula, when I was in school, and trust me I couldn’t sleep for two nights. I’m older now, and horror stories don’t scare me that me, but I definitely felt chills on my blood while reading Incarnation at night.

The book was richly imaginative, vivid and luxurious. Walking down to the grim and spooky alleys of steampunk London of 1897, I felt my heart will jump out of my throat. The club houses loomed with seductive creatures and terror, and whole grim and lavish environment was very creative of the author.
Accompanied by a man named Marco, who came from a long line of vampire hunters, who knows about her more than herself, who also holds key to her past, Lucy found herself deeply attached to him. The characters was well written and well developed. I’m drooling over Marco, and Lucy, she is just as kick ass as you can imagine. Struggling with grief of losing her family, who thinks she is dead, and thirst for blood, there was feeling and humanity left inside her.
The author has related the story to Arthurian legend Mordred, knows as the traitor is history, but the author revealed the veil from his character, and portrayed him as the people who sacrificed himself for sake of his people, which gave a new turn on rest of the story. I’m not telling you guys more, if you want to find out, please read the book.
But I’m stunned to see how the author picked up legendary characters one by one and shade them in new colours which none of us could actually imagine.

Incarnation was extremely captivating and gorgeously written. As I drifted deeper, I found myself drawn to the dark world. Highly recommended for those, who are looking for a nice but surprising reading, then this is the book for you.




View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This sounds like a great book! I'll have to look out for it(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure you do, i hope you will enjoy reading :)

    ReplyDelete