Thursday, 18 October 2012

The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

Goodreads Summary : Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.



My rating: 5 of 5 stars


“I can’t stop it. I can’t stop Them from following me. If it was just me that the fey picked on, I’d be okay with that. But someone else always pays for my Sight. Someone else always gets hurt instead of me.” Tearing my gaze from hers, I looked out over the fields. “I’d rather be alone,” I muttered, “then to have to watch that again.”

Do you remember the little boy who was kidnapped by a vicious fey, and his big sister set out a journey to find that kind to a strange and magical place called NeverNever. Well, guess what, after a time leap of twelve years, that little boy has grown into a handsome hunk. Yes, that boy is Ethan Chase and he is back with a bang.

The Iron Fey is my all-time favorite YA novel series. When I mourning over why the series came to an end, then Julie Kagawa announced there is going to be a spin off and my heart stared hammering against my ribs. And when I finally managed to get my claws on a pretty ARC and I finished the story, nausea gripped my mind in excitement and I took an entire week to collect words and wrap my thoughts around it.

A Prince on A Mission

Ethan always wanted to stay from anything relates to the magical fey realm or fairies. The nightmarish memories from his childhood of being a prisoner in enormous iron castle is still haunting his so badly that his heart is nothing but full of hatred against entire fey kind. He even blames them for the distance that has formed between him and his older sister Megan, who fell in love with one of them and left their family. Hence Ethan wouldn't dare to think or look at the fey kind; neither could he let them know about his existence or his power to see through the glamour of fairies. Hence when his half breed friend got kidnapped by a new and vicious race of forgotten fairies, and they stared chasing Ethan too, he was forced to enter in the world of NeverNever he despair most, and along with the girl he would never dare to fall for. Of on his mission we see a not so happy family reunion; we again met the icy prince and the great prankster, the dark muse and our beloved fur-ball.

Ethan, Kenzie and Keirran

Ethan was kind of brooding and smoking hot, also occasional jerk-ass. I could help but mentioning how Ethan somehow reminded me of Ash. Ethan has always kept a bad boy image to build a barrier around hi true self, kind of the icy walls Ash used to shield his soft interior. But as the book progressed, we saw who Ethan Chase is actually deep down. The façade of rudeness and a tough guy image is just a cover for his rebellious spirit, his true feelings for the girl he is afraid to fall in love with and the pain and the anger he is carrying with him.
He has no fey magic to fight of the evils; he is just a human teenage boy who is extraordinarily skilled in martial arts. When I first read about Ethan, he was a toddler, now it’s strange to read about him that he has grown into a hot-ass hero.

However I’m more impressed by the female protagonist Mackenzie St. James or Kenzie, as we call her. She was just kick-ass as any boys of her age, and also the girl who secretly melted Ethan’s heart. She much more than what is seems to be, I just can’t stop appalling for her. She made me smile, and brought tears in my eyes as the same time. She didn’t flinch to make deals with fairies; she didn’t back away from Ethan, even if she was gravely unwell to go on with him. She was fearless of any incoming danger, audacious explorer who wants to see everything and experience them. You rock girl.

Now talking about Keirran, I just don’t believe Ash is his father, I mean what the freaking hell, Ash became a father? Really?
However half-fey and half human Keirran was shadow of Meghan, rather than Ash, and he got same features as her, and skills as Ash, swift and deadly. Keirran is master extraordinary power; he can exert three kinds of magic, summer, winter and Iron. He played a major role in The Lost Prince, he accompanied Ethan and Kenzie into their quest (imagine Ethan has a nephew of same age) and fought battles beside them. I wonder why Puck mentioned Ethan and Keirran reminded him about a certain pair (Rings a bell? Yeah, he was talking about him and Ash, and their golden old days)

The Old Legends

Well, when we are talking about the spin off of The iron Fey, how can we possibly forget to mention our Iron Legends, Meghan, Ash, Puck (ohhh Baby!!!) and Grimalkin. Meghan is no longer that teenager girl we knew; she is now ruler of Iron realm, more powerful and responsible. Still handsome as ever, Ash is Meghan’s iron Knight, and father of her son (sigh!).
Well, good news is my Puck, the prankster is single (and ready to be mingled with me). He appeared only twice in the book, and both time he kicked some ass (Yo love, you rock).
My cutie Grimalkin was with the trio for all the time, and who could be the best guide to NeverNever other than him.

Overall Thoughts

As a fan of The Iron Fey series, I had very high expectation for The Lost Prince, and I was breathlessly waiting for the book to come out quickly. And, I was again spellbound by my favorite storyteller, author Julie Kagawa. Her gorgeous prose and amazing story weaving kept me hooked on the book until late night. Any Iron Fey fan in any corner of the world wouldn't dare to miss the book, and I bet my money on that.


View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. I definitely would like to say that this book provided a nice change from the usual..but i have to say Kagawa does it again...can that woman write :)

    great and an insightful review.

    oh if you get the time then do check out my review of the book here

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got to read the Iron Fey series so I can read this book! I've heard such great things! Good review.

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the trailer yesterday. I have this and I'm currently reading The Iron Fey series so I can understand this one. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just read the book. and i agree with you, its great. its my favorite of the iron fey books so far.
    But i was a bit disappointed by the end, so it just missed the fifth star from me

    ReplyDelete