Sunday, 25 November 2012

Ironskin by Tina Connolly

Goodreads Summary : Jane Eliot wears an iron mask.

It’s the only way to contain the fey curse that scars her cheek. The Great War is five years gone, but its scattered victims remain—the ironskin.

When a carefully worded listing appears for a governess to assist with a "delicate situation"—a child born during the Great War—Jane is certain the child is fey-cursed, and that she can help.

Teaching the unruly Dorie to suppress her curse is hard enough; she certainly didn’t expect to fall for the girl’s father, the enigmatic artist Edward Rochart. But her blossoming crush is stifled by her own scars, and by his parade of women. Ugly women, who enter his closed studio...and come out as beautiful as the fey.

Jane knows Rochart cannot love her, just as she knows that she must wear iron for the rest of her life. But what if neither of these things is true? Step by step Jane unlocks the secrets of her new life—and discovers just how far she will go to become whole again.


My Rating : 3.5 of 5 stars

My Thoughts : Expectation went high up when Jane Eyre meets vicious fairy tales in a steampunk background with subtle hints of Beauty and The Beast. But then you slowly feel disappointed when your high expectations died away or at least that’s what happened to me. To be frank, I’m a big fan of Jane Eyre, indeed and read it over and over. So it’s very obvious for that Ironskin was one of my most anticipated read of 201 and I was very curious how the author took her inspiration of Bronte's masterpiece and waved it in her own style.

Jane wears an iron mask to cover her cheek to hide a scar from spreading it; a contagious fey curse resulted from the Great War that ended five years ago but the victims still bear the consequences. Jane was appointed as a teacher to Dorie by her father Edward Rochart, an enigmatic and mysterious man. What Jane never expected was to fall for him. But her secret desire was strangled by her own deformity and Edward’s reputation as womanizer. Edward has his own secret, perhaps a solution to Jane’s deformity but Jane must unlock secrets to her new life and discover a way to get rid of her fey curse also she must save this little girl Dorie, who was also another innocent victim of the fey curse.

“Perhaps I have too much anger of my own to tell. If a man is steeped in bitter anger every day of his life, how then would he notice a small additional fire?"

The book was richly written with gorgeous Victorian dialects, showcasing the author brilliance in literature, also I think the idea behind the story was more than ordinary but though wasn’t executed properly. It could have been little exciting and breath-taking. For the character, Jane was excellent for the lead. She was brave and subtle and very proficient in her own duty. I was amazed to see how she skilfully took care of unruly and disobedient Dorie with love. On the other hand Edward was way too ordinary and no matter how seductive he was described in the story, he actually failed to drug me with his mighty hotness. Also their chemistry was not that intense and divine as it was in original classic, which in turn might disappoint fans of Jane and Edward.

What I liked is how the plot was set in a steampunk background with both magical and fantasy elements in it, it was no doubt a brave attempt and somehow proven to be successful other than those few things I mentioned earlier in this review. However Ironskin is a creative remake of my all-time favourite classic, and I would definitely suggest it to those who love to see some edgy and twisty recreation in gothic tells.




View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds so interesting to me, I'm sorry you didn't love it as much as you thought it would. I'd not heard of it until reading your review and I think I'm going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cover looks amazing, and then I read the blurb and WOW. But then I saw how you were disappointed, and I felt disappointed too. However, I think I'd still love to give this a chance.

    ReplyDelete