Friday, 2 November 2012

Rebel Heart by Moira Young

Goodreads Summary :It seemed so simple: Defeat the Tonton, rescue her kidnapped brother, Lugh, and then order would be restored to Saba’s world. Simplicity, however, has proved to be elusive. Now, Saba and her family travel west, headed for a better life and a longed-for reunion with Jack. But the fight for Lugh’s freedom has unleashed a new power in the dust lands, and a formidable new enemy is on the rise.

What is the truth about Jack? And how far will Saba go to get what she wants? In this much-anticipated follow-up to the riveting Blood Red Road, a fierce heroine finds herself at the crossroads of danger and destiny, betrayal and passion.


My Rating : 4 of 5 stars

My Thoughts : After mind blowing ending of Blood Red Road, which left us with huge cliff-hanger, Rebel heart is not just satisfactory but also blockbuster second installment of Dust Land Trilogy, which again was successful to blew my mind off.

Waiting for Rebel Heart was worth when I was again thrust into the desiccated and deteriorated world of savagery. Each breathe I inhaled and exhaled was full of tension as I made progress with the book. Again the writing was riddled with uneducated and unusual Saba’s voice, but this time the narration was smooth and cooperating unlike the first time I read Blood Red Road.

The book was compelling beyond imagination, with lot of special effects and action scene. With Jack gone, love and nightmares of past had weakened Saba sometimes, making her less aggressive and fierce, however soon we found our old kick ass, headstrong Angel of Death. Her determination to find Jack, and her fighter soul again surprised me as well, but with time she was hasty and erratic that her rush in making illogical decision did irritated me sometime.

“I think of what we might say. Him to me. Me to him. I ain’t no soft girl. I don’t know no soft words. Be with me, Jack. That’s what I’ll say. Burn with me. Shine with me.”

Throughout the book we get picture of Saba’s journey to her reunion with Jack, but we received few glimpses of jack too. The book opened with third person narration of Jack giving subtle hints of his dark past, and I found my finger scorching with curiosities. But unfortunately with slow progression of the story I grew impatient and bored. However towards the end unexpected turns and twists in story caught me off guard.

Along with Saba as the main character, we saw Lugh who was occasional jerk-ass, and other secondary characters, some new, some old. I enjoyed DeMalo as an extraordinary villain, also Tommo, Emmi and Maev played their part very well, and especially Tommo received a great character development. The ending apparently seems happy but let me warn you about the great danger are on his way. The ambiguous conclusion of Rebel Heart is definitely forcing me into further thinking of the third installment.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I have not read Blood Red Road, yet I've heard so many good things about both these that I MUST read it soon! Glad to see you enjoyed this one.

    Jennifer
    http://ya-sisterhood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete