Friday, 7 December 2012

Mystic City by Theo Lawrence

Goodreads Summary : Aria Rose, youngest scion of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, finds herself betrothed to Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long political feud—and unite all those living in the Aeries, the privileged upper reaches of the city, against the banished mystics who dwell below in the Depths. But Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas; in fact, she wakes one day with huge gaps in her memory. And she can't conceive why her parents would have agreed to unite with the Fosters in the first place. Only when Aria meets Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic from the Depths, does she start to have glimmers of recollection—and to understand that he holds the key to unlocking her past. The choices she makes can save or doom the city—including herself.

My Rating : 4 of 5 stars


My Thoughts : There have been many books published in recent days as a blend of X-Men in dystopian world. But in case of Mystic City, it was unexpectedly gorgeous. The story was truly gripping and intensely affecting afterwards.

In a distant futuristic tale, where most of the Manhattan resides underwater and the upper city is run by energy drawn from mystics. Aria Rose, daughter of one of the two most powerful family of city, doesn't remember a thing about her past before she overdosed on Stic, a drug mad of mystic energy, or at least it’s what she was told. Now she is engaged to a boy she doesn't remember having feelings for, with flashes of another boy in her memories. The day she met Hunter, a rebel mystic, everything around her changes and she realized he holds the key to her past.
I admit I had very mixed feeling about the book before I started it, and now I feel it was a mind blowing that I finished the book within a 3 hours train journey because I couldn't let it go. The writing was beautiful, vivid and I loved the way the author described a divided Manhattan, mystics those live in Depths of city and the controlling class harvesting on mystic power.

There is a certain kind of attraction flamed between them in a way that is not quite explainable . The romance was described in a cute way, not your boy meets girls and lightning strikes, rather it was something beyond magical. With a rebellion ignited and political turmoil, a love blossoms however it was pretty much predictable that Hunter is the one Aria fell in love with, not Thomas, the boy she is engaged to. It was a dystopian forbidden love between the daughter of the most powerful and controlling man of Manhattan and a rebel mystic whose mother is a worthy opponent in upcoming election.

Both the lead characters are developed well. Aria is desperate to find answers for her memory loss because the story her family fed her was definitely not believable. And Hunter was desperate to keep her safe at any cost. Finally when a moment came, both of them fought against all the odds. It’s needless to say Hunter is one of the fictional boys I recently developed a crush for. What unexpected is Aria because I never thought her to be the tough as she really is, and by her bravery she caught me off guard.

Other than the romance part, the book has many unpredictable things which left me by surprise but I’m not going to disclose then in this review. After finishing the book in a single breath and finally when I exhaled, one word came out of my mouth “Wow….. I’m blown away by Mystic City.”






View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. amazing review.....i think i have to read it now....been putting it off because of the not so great reviews i have read so far...but that cover is totally amazing

    Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aparajita......I'm glad you liked my review and I bet you are going to love this book

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review-thorough but not boring!I like the summary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good book and great review..wanna make me read this book..
    thx u :)

    ReplyDelete