Friday, 21 December 2012

Splintered by A.G. Howard

Goodreads Summary : For sixteen years, Alyssa Gardner has lived with the stigma of being descended from Alice Liddell—the real life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s famed novel, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. But cruel jokes about dormice and tea parties can’t compare to the fact that Alyssa hears the whispers of bugs and flowers... the same quirk which sent her mother to a mental institution years before.

When her mother takes a turn for the worse and the whispers grow too strong for Alyssa to bear, she seeks the origins of their family curse. A set of heirlooms and a moth tied to an unusual website lead Alyssa and her gorgeous best friend / secret crush, Jeb, down the rabbit hole into the real Wonderland, a place more twisted and eerie than Lewis Carroll ever let on.

There, creepy counterparts of the original fairytale crew reveal the purpose for Alyssa’s journey, and unless she fixes the things her great-great-great grandmother Alice put wrong, Wonderland will have her head


My Rating : 5 of 5 stars

My Thoughts : Last year, The Storyteller was published by Amrams/Amulet Books on January 1st from and was enlisted in my all-time favorite shelf. Then one year later again another book from the same publishing house has already shelved in my favorite read of 2013, which is none other than Splintered.

Once in a while, there is a book hit the market and blew the readers away. The same happened with Splintered, which is a brilliant contrast of exciting adventure to a forgotten realm, and heart-warming romance at the same time. If I start praising the book, my words stock wouldn't be sufficient enough to describe my inner feeling.

Damn You Splintered!!!!! You made me speechless.

Splintered is twisted modern tale of Alice In Wonderland where the central stage is taken by Alyssa Gardner, great-great-great granddaughter of Alice Liddell, inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s masterpiece.

“Tearing down the rest of the world won't make you happy. Look inside yourself. Because finding who you were meant to be? What you were put into this world to do? That's what fills the emptiness. It's the only things that can.”

Imprinted with absolute originality and creativity crafted out of author’s own imagination gave a spin to the old classic fantasy and takes us to a wild safari to a brand new Wonderland that darker than ever. I must say I enjoyed every bit of this adventure tour through the rabbit hole along with Alyssa and her childhood crush heart Jeb, and this journey is utterly unforgettable for me.

Alyssa was pretty kick ass “Skater Girl”. She has grown up hearing the whispers of insects and flowers and she fears someday she will end up like her mother, in some mental institution. She was bit quirky and retort quickly to any question. She never ever backs down, which is the best quality I found in her. She was kind of super girl in my eyes with both courage and fun, and an attitude that made me her number one fan.

“I need to get to that tea party and wake up the guests."
Jeb looks at me. "And how are you supposed to do that? Give a magical kiss to the half-baked hatmaker?”


Jeb is the next door boy with all big brother attitude, however during their quest through wonderland his feeling changes for Alyssa, and as they more embark into the deep the romance starts to blooms between them. He is sweet and protective, intriguing and charming always stands by Alyssa’s side as her knight in shining Armour.

“I hate you," I say, the sentiment muffled against his heart, hoping to make it true.
"And I love you," he answers without hesitation, voice resolved and raw as he holds me tighter so I can't break away and react. "A crossroads, my beautiful princess, that was unavoidable—given our situations.”


Now it’s time to talk about my crush. Yes!!!!!! It’s Morpheus. The Splintered version of Caterpillar with the hookah, lots of sparkling eye makeup and a hat. This mysterious and irksome winged netherling just stole my heart (plus he has accent). This utterly seductive darkling holds the key to Alyssa’s past and the only person who can guide Alyssa to bring the balance. His heartbreakingly romantic and around the end of the book, he made my heart ached.

Splintered reminded me of Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland but I must say Splintered is way awesome than the movie. With progress of each page I found myself engulfed in the words and I was literally envisioning the entire book. Splintered is completely enthralling and jaw dropping book. Even if you are not a fan of retelling's or fantasy, I will still recommend you Splintered because I know you are gonna love it.



View all my reviews


10 comments:

  1. I'm seeing so many mixed reviews for Splintered. Either people fall head or heals in love with it or they are "meh". I'm reading it now and really enjoying it so far. The only thing that bothers me is Jeb. Any way it's still early in the book. I hope I end up enjoying it as much as you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw you are reading Splintered. I had kind same feelings as you about Jeb at the beginning, however situation changed later. But Morpheus is rather charming. I hope you will like him too :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great book! And the cover is so pretty!

    Thanks for the review

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I absolutely loved loved loved this book and Morpheus! It was such an awesome Alice twist!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review that has me putting this book on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those quotes. Now I really, really want to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been blowing up all over the book blogger and Goodreads world, and everyone has given it 5 stars! Seriously every single one of the reviews I have read are just gushing about it! I got to get this when it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie @ Marie's Bookworm Blog
      http://mariesbookwormblog.blogspot.com

      Delete
  7. i saw the cover and i fall in love....
    still currently reading splintered...thx 4 the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally loved this book too! Have you seen the cover of Bk 2 yet? It is a gorgeous depiction of Morpheus! I am definitely looking forward to reading it....

    ReplyDelete