Friday, 25 January 2013

Breathe by Sarah Crossan


Summary : When oxygen levels plunge in a treeless world, a state lottery decides which lucky few will live inside the Pod. Everyone else will slowly suffocate. Years after the Switch, life inside the Pod has moved on. A poor Auxiliary class cannot afford the oxygen tax which supplies extra air for running, dancing and sports. The rich Premiums, by contrast, are healthy and strong. Anyone who opposes the regime is labelled a terrorist and ejected from the Pod to die. Sixteen-year-old Alina is part of the secret resistance, but when a mission goes wrong she is forced to escape from the Pod. With only two days of oxygen in her tank, she too faces the terrifying prospect of death by suffocation. Her only hope is to find the mythical Grove, a small enclave of trees protected by a hardcore band of rebels. Does it even exist, and if so, what or who are they protecting the trees from? A dystopian thriller about courage and freedom, with a love story at its heart.

My Rating : 4 of 5 stars

My Thoughts : In this conventional dystopian tale, author Sarah Crossan has given her readers a glimpse of distant future which might come true someday. Set in a futuristic world, where the world is worn out of oxygen and stripped of all greenery. Only inside the POD, which is a secured dome where people can stay alive and breathe. Oxygen tanks are most expensive for people like Bea, who has not earned the privilege to be a premium like her friend Quinn.
When, Bea got a chance to camp outside the POD with Quinn, all she wanted to spend some quality time him, with interference of any kind of trouble. But when, Quinn helps a rebel Alina to escape the POD, he jeopardized everything.

For last few years, mostly YA market is following the usual trend of dystopian setting, Breathe is no such exception, yet it was utterly entertain and I found myself gripped by this book. I didn't hold much high hopes for this one where I started, but I’m glad I picked up Breathe as it proved to be surprisingly good.

Both Bea and Alina were well developed characters, while I found the male protagonist Quinn as the human version of puppy, no doubt he acted like one.
Alina is you usual kickass character that you mostly expect to find in a dystopian, an active rebel fighting against the corrupted government. I was rather surprised by Bea, a very compassionate and intelligent girl and I liked how her character growth with progress of the story. There was a subtle hint of triangle in the book that could develop more in next installment.

Breathe is fast paced and action filled. As much as I enjoyed the story, I would like to recommend it for a try to dystopian lovers, hoping you may find it engaging as well.




View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. Well, this is definitely engaging! LOVE the idea and I have heard SO MANY good things about it.
    GREAT review, Soumi!
    your constant reader.
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still don't now what to make of this book. The concept looks great but a lot of reviews I've read make this book sound a bit below par. Still can't let go of a dystopian book so I might just go ahead and get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds ah-mazing! WOW!!!!!!! Not being able to exercise because you can't afford the air...I would never complain about having to exercise again! From your review, sounds like it doesn't disappoint. I love a good action-filled, fast-paced dystopian! As usual, an exquisite review!

    Marie @ Marie's Bookworm Blog
    http://www.mariesbookwormblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete