Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway

Goodreads Summary : Jodi Marshall isn’t sure how she went from normal teenager to walking disaster. One minute she’s in her junior year of high school, spending time with her amazing boyfriend and her best friend. The next she’s being stalked by some guy no one seems to know.

After the stranger, Alex, reveals himself, Jodi learns he’s not a normal teenager and neither is she. With a kiss that kills and a touch that brings the dead back to life, Jodi discovers she’s part of a branch of necromancers born under the 13th sign of the zodiac, Ophiuchus. A branch of necromancers that are descendants of Medusa. A branch of necromancers with poisoned blood writhing in their veins.

Jodi’s deadly to the living and even more deadly to the deceased. She has to leave her old, normal life behind before she hurts the people she loves. As if that isn't difficult enough, Jodi discovers she’s the chosen one who has to save the rest of her kind from perishing at the hands of Hades. If she can’t figure out how to control her power, history will repeat itself, and her race will become extinct.


My Rating : 4 of 5 stars

My Thoughts : There's been a lots of mythological YAs last year, and not all of them actually pleased me like this one did. Truthfully I have never ready anything related to Medusa's good side, all we know that is a snake headed monstrous goddess who enjoys petrifying people with her eyes.
Embedded in rich Greek Mythology and infused with zombie horror, I found Touch of Death immediately interesting.

Born under 13th sign, Jodi is part of part of a branch of necromancers, descendants of Medusa, thus she possess a rare talent of not only healing people, but also bringing dead to life, as well as killing people with her one touch. Running away from the people she loves, Jodi was determined to protect every necromancers from perishing at the hands of Hades. However everything is not as it looks like, soon Jodi faced betrayals and deception.

I liked the story building, which has a fascinating back story that helps reader to relate themselves to the plot line , however the writing was a little juvenile for me.

The main protagonist Jodi was a bit confused and indecisive at beginning but eventually her character improves and readers saw her making hard decisions. I like her improvement because this is realty, a character changes with time and situations they faces. We can't always expect a heroine to be kick ass from the very beginning. She wasn't easy to convince at anything neither she easily fell for Alex's charm.
On the other side, Alex was great lead, supportive and romantic. He was cocky initially and later we saw his as downright romantic hero.

Touch of Death was fast, enjoyable and entertaining read for me, and I finished the book in one sitting. The unique world building and well developed characters made me want to read the next book already. However Touch of Death is highly recommended for those who are seeking for good mythological and paranormal read.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. The cover to this one has always kinda creeped me out a bit, but I have heard good things about it. Your review only cemented my confidence in it being a good one to pick up sometime soon. Nice, informative review, as always. I like mythology books a lot, and I do enjoy a good paranormal, so hopefully I will like this one. Thanks for the review!

    Marie @ Marie's Bookworm Blog
    http://www.mariesbookwormblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete