Friday, 1 February 2013

Renegade by J.A. Souders

Goodreads Summary : Since the age of three, sixteen-year-old Evelyn Winters has been trained to be Daughter of the People in the underwater utopia known as Elysium. Selected from hundreds of children for her ideal genes, all her life she’s thought that everything was perfect; her world. Her people. The Law.

But when Gavin Hunter, a Surface Dweller, accidentally stumbles into their secluded little world, she’s forced to come to a startling realization: everything she knows is a lie.

Her memories have been altered.

Her mind and body aren’t under her own control.

And the person she knows as Mother is a monster.

Together with Gavin she plans her escape, only to learn that her own mind is a ticking time bomb... and Mother has one last secret that will destroy them all.


My Rating : 4 of 5 stars

My Thoughts :Renegade means someone who rebels against her cause, and I believe that's exactly happened in this book, what a perfect name.

Sixteen-year-old Evelyn Winters was raised and trained to be Daughter of People, to rule over the underwater utopia known as Elysium. her life was close to perfect, or at least that's what she believed. When she met a surface dweller named Gavin, and helped him escape prison, she realized everything she believed is was nothing but a mere lie and result of her memory alternation.
Together they tried to escape Elysium, but would they succeed to escape the iron fist of the women whom she called Mother, who is nothing but a control freak monstrous women.

Underwater Utopia

I fell in love with the book, and the world building. I was amazed to experience the underwater utopia, the brilliant creation of the author. It was vivid and well planned. The underwater world seriously sucked me in. I mean, seriously that evil women who claimed herself as Mother of People, really scared me. She proceeded to destroy everything and everyone who was against her. She wanted to control Elysium in her own terms which was nothing but domination.

Brainwashing and Surface Dweller

I have always valued character's growth with progress book, and I love when a character discovers her true potential. That's another reason, I loved Renegade so much.
In the beginning, Evelyn was just a fragile girl, more like a mechanical being or rather an empty puppet of her fake mother. She kept repeating lines such as My life is just about perfect or It's nice to have someone to talk to, and that strongly implied something was wrong with her, and her behavior also worried Gavin. Together they discover the truth behind her strange persona. I loved her strength and courage and curiosities, qualities that must require for a strong protagonist.
Gavin was just adorable, a good male lead or rather a great support to Evelyn's character. I don't have much to say about him, as in most part of the book Evelyn overshadowed Gavin.

All Well That Ends Well

Holy Mother of Elysium.......this book was breathtaking. I finished it in one one sitting. The book conjured a desire to go on, even after the ending, I couldn't stop myself from thinking about the book.
I really have a high expectation for the upcoming squall, and it better quenches my thirst.







View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved this book! Great review

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Soumi! great review! :-) me and my best friend Sarika, run a blog too. here's the link- http://thereaddicts.blogspot.in/ we would love it if you checked it out! we've also emailed you. hope to hear from you soon :)

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the setting of this, too, but felt that several of the events were a bit too convenient (like all the secret-revealing diaries they kept stumbling upon).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your last paragraph; it's well-written and has me just dying to read this! I fell in love when I first saw the cover a while ago and have heard good things. Excited!

    Marie @ Marie's Bookworm Blog
    http://www.mariesbookwormblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete