Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Bruised by Sarah Skilton


Goodreads Summary : When Imogen, a sixteen-year-old black belt in Tae Kwon Do, freezes during a holdup at a local diner, the gunman is shot and killed by the police, and she blames herself for his death. Before the shooting, she believed that her black belt made her stronger than everyone else -- more responsible, more capable. But now her sense of self has been challenged and she must rebuild her life, a process that includes redefining her relationship with her family and navigating first love with the boy who was at the diner with her during the shootout. With action, romance, and a complex heroine, Bruised introduces a vibrant new voice to the young adult world -- full of dark humor and hard truths

My Rating : 3.5 of 5 stars



My Thoughts : Before Bruised I have never read any novel related to sports, any kind of sports. So I better shan’t compare this book with any other book because I found it unique itself. Most of all, before staring the book, I had no knowledge about any kind of Karate but now I can name few moves that are used in Tae Kwon Do.

The story deals with a mental agony of a sixteen-year-old black belt Imogen, who believed that her black belt made her strong enough to survive any situations. But when she freezes and hides under a table during a holdup at a local diner and witnessed the gunman was shot down to death by police, she held herself responsible for his death. She believed all her countless hours of hard training, her efforts and practice was in all went in vein because of her cowardice act during the shootout. Here the story begins about her journey from a guilt ridden girl continuously struggling with depression, anger to how she moves on in her life after that.

First, I like in the intensity in Imogen’s voice. However in few stages I had problem in dealing with her illogical impulsive behaviour (view spoiler)[ She punches random the guy she likes and without reason (hide spoiler)]. Other than that, she was a fine protagonist.

I must say, the concept was new in YA market and the presented the story in layer by layer, from the negative side to the positive side of a person’s life. For contemporary fan, Bruised is an excellent read.




View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Crazy premise! The cover really caught my eye, but I wasn't sure about something about karate. Maybe I'll pick this up, sounds like an interesting lesson in courage. This actually sounds really good. YAYYYYYYYYY

    Marie @ Marie's Bookworm Blog
    http://www.mariesbookwormblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover looks interesting! Sounds like a pretty good read, although like yourself, I don't often read books about sport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds a great book...
    thx u for the review...

    ReplyDelete