Tuesday, 26 November 2013

The Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa


Goodreads Summary : In the real world, when you vanish into thin air for a week, people tend to notice.

After his unexpected journey into the lands of the fey, Ethan Chase just wants to get back to normal. Well, as normal as you can be when you see faeries every day of your life. Suddenly the former loner with the bad reputation has someone to try for; his girlfriend, Kenzie. Never mind that he's forbidden to see her again.

But when your name is Ethan Chase and your sister is one of the most powerful faeries in the Nevernever, normal simply isn't to be. For Ethan's nephew, Keirran, is missing, and may be on the verge of doing something unthinkable in the name of saving his own love. Something that will fracture the human and faery worlds forever, and give rise to the dangerous fey known as the Forgotten. As Ethan's and Keirran's fates entwine and Keirran slips further into darkness, Ethan's next choice may decide the fate of them all.


My Rating : 5 of 5 stars


My Thoughts : I have finished the book around a month or two ago when I got my dirty paws on the silvery ARC. And since then, considering how my mind tends to deceive me into remembering every little thing, I still am overwhelmed by the emotion The Iron Traitor left in its aftermath.

In a very rare occasion I end up liking all the characters in a book, and it was one case where I felt connected with each of the four MCs. I felt their ego, their sentiment, their anger and desperation, love and hatred. I wanted to cry with Kenzie, slap some senses into Ethan, both kiss and kick Kierran at the same time for his desperation (which was stupid but brave) and hold Annwyl from fading.

I felt a lot of thing and they are ineffable. I’m not sure how to put them in words.

The story began with Ethan and Kenzie, back in his normal life, was trying to make through it. Situation worsened when Kenzie’s health started to degrade due to her cancer. Ethan soon got a surprise visit (and warning) from his sister Meghan and Annwyl regarding Kierran. On the other hand Kierran was on a hell bent mission to find a cure to stop Annwyl from fading. . So once again Ethan was pulled into an unwanted quest to help Annwyl and stop Kierran from making a serious mistake before it was too late.

A character can truly be judged based on their action and reaction in different situations. I’m glad that Miss Kagawa did something like that, by putting Ethan and Kierran in situations similar to each other. Both were on the brink of losing their love. And where Kierran could go to any extent to save his, Ethan would rather cope with it than bargaining with faeries.

Here comes the difference between them, and I accept, until this point, I was leaning towards Kierran, despite his decisions were thoughtless and actions desperate, but all he did, he did them for Annwyl. It was the madness of unconditional love, the heat, the passion and the intensity that drove him out his senses. And I don’t blame him for this. But…but until the very end, he truly crossed the line between thinkable and unthinkable, sanity and insanity. Where I rather felt pity for him than anger.

Ethan showed much more maturity than his nephew. He knew the cost and consequences that might led to further trouble.

I wish I could, I thought, closing my eyes. I wish there was some way, some bargain or deal or contract, to make you well again, but I know the rules. Nothing is free. Magic and power always come with a price. And maybe that’s selfish and paranoid, but I’m not willing to pay that price, or have you pay that price. Not yet. Not when there’s still a chance you could be okay without it.

My likeness for Ethan was not an easy one. It came with difficulties. And I took time to understand him. He was a multi-layered character, a whirlwind whose thoughts spun beneath coats of dust. He was angsty, angry, frustrated. He knew he was losing Kenzie, the pain was eating him away, yet he was trying to contend with it rather than making some stupid, instant decision that might cost a lot higher than he was ready to pay.

I have not much to say about Kenzie and Annwyl. I have always viewed Annwyl as a gentle, fragile summer girl, but the strength inside really amazed me. She stood up to Kierran for the sake of his own good which he was too blind to see. And Kenzie, brave as ever, remained pretty much same.

The world building, as usual, was lurid, cinematic. It was my sixth escapade to Never-never and like every other of my visits, it was a unique experience. The iron traitor was fast paced, action packed little read. I lost the track of time while reading. I was so devoured into pages.

Like I always say, countless times, that Julie Kagawa is one of my all-time favourite authors, and I will read anything by her.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment