Monday, 21 April 2014

This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales


Book Summary : Making friends has never been Elise Dembowski’s strong suit. All throughout her life, she’s been the butt of every joke and the outsider in every conversation. When a final attempt at popularity fails, Elise nearly gives up. Then she stumbles upon a warehouse party where she meets Vicky, a girl in a band who accepts her; Char, a cute, yet mysterious disc jockey; Pippa, a carefree spirit from England; and most importantly, a love for DJing.

Told in a refreshingly genuine and laugh-out-loud funny voice, THIS SONG WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE is an exuberant novel about identity, friendship, and the power of music to bring people together.

My Rating : 4 of 5 stars


My Review : “Sometimes people think they know you. They know a few facts about you, and they piece you together in a way that makes sense to them. And if you don't know yourself very well, you might even believe that they are right. But the truth is, that isn't you. That isn't you at all.”

This Song Will Save Your Life is one of those very few books that engages your interest despite not having unexpected twists and turns, or sword and sorceresses.

In a sense, this particular book has the appeal of a long winter. The prolonged bitter-sweetness that lays the foundations for the different emotions throughout the pages, to live the effects and experience the phenomena same as its characters, to muse and dwell in silence as the lingering aftereffect of reading this book.

Without going into tedious dissection of characters arcs and plot, I will try to delineate my thoughts in simple words.

This Song Will Save Your Life is story of an outcast, who sucks at making friends, who lacks social adequacies. I had never been an outcast in my school, nor was I a star. But despite being surrounded by a small group of faithful friends, I often found myself in a world that refused my presence, always longing for an escape. However, my school life wasn't an exact sketch that of Elise’s, but at some points it was quite similar. While I took my solace in reading, for Elise’s it was DJing.

What I liked about This Song Will Save Your Life is its writing, bestowing an unforgettable level of profound honesty. The author, Leila Sales, is a master craftswoman—her way with words is simply remarkable. Every character she etched in the pages seemed to leap right off in reality. It took me only few minutes to immerse myself into the depth of the story, and after an entire evening, I emerged soaked with muddled sentiments.

And I hope you will too.

Truely. Deeply. Immensely.




View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read this book and have been waffling on it. I guess I wanted to see if other people liked it first...? Thanks for reviewing it, I think I will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also been thinking about picking this up since I first saw it around the publication date but kind of forgot about it since I didn't see too many reviews. I really like books where music is a big part of the plot (ex. Seraphina, Incarnate) so I'll have to pick this up soon!

    ReplyDelete